The California Board of Recreation Therapy Certification (CBRTC) will be the certification organization of choice for persons who provide recreation therapy services in the state of California.
What We Do
Recreation Therapist Certification
Recreation Therapy Assistant Certification
Professional Leave of Absence
Previously Certified Reentry
Certification of Agency and University Internship Sites
To develop and maintain a plan for voluntary registration and certification of recreation therapy and park personnel in order to protect the health and welfare of consumers of park and recreation services in California.
What is Recreation Therapy (RT)?
Recreation therapy, also known as therapeutic recreation, is a systematic process that utilizes recreation and other activity based interventions that are based upon the assessed needs of the individuals with illnesses and/or disabling conditions The purpose of the RT process is to improve or maintain physical, cognitive, social, emotional and spiritual functioning in order to facilitate full participation in life.
In our rapidly changing society, recreation therapy has been designated as one of the fastest growing health care and human service occupations in the country.
Code of Ethics
- To improve the physical, emotional, social, and psychological well-being of each client
- Promote social interaction among clients to improve quality of life.
- Increase awareness of the benefits of recreation and leisure.
- Increase activity tolerance.
- Provide cognitive stimulation.
- Provide opportunities to learn new skills and maintain current level of functioning.
- Reduce obstacles to leisure behavior and offer leisure education opportunities.
- Provide community resource planning for quality of life following illness.
- Increase independence.
What are the Benefits of Certification?
- Certification promotes increased salaries and more jobs
- Certification provides the pathway to stay current in the field
- Certification links university curricula with practical experience
- Certification provides a broad and deep understanding of the field
- Certification provides a competitive edge in hiring practices
- Certification provides recognition from industry leaders
- Certification opens the door to more opportunities for career advancement
- Certification connects you with a strong network of peers
Board of Directors
MS, RRTC, RRC
CBRPC Office Manager
Phone and/or Text:
MS, RTC, CTRS
MS, RTC, RRC, RT Educator
Susan Van Dyne